Building with the American Spirit - People, Projects & Communities
Our Core Values
- Making the right and fair decision in every situation
- Demonstrating consistency between words and actions
- Honoring all commitments
- Working together to advance mutual interests
- Building relationships based on trust and respect
- Ensuring a highly collaborative and enthusiastic environment
- Communicating with candor and appreciating the input of others
- Equipping and enabling people to deliver results
- Understanding expectations
- Acting decisively
- Demonstrating self-motivation and entrepreneurialism
Why Ethics Matter
At Barton Malow, we believe our progress, success and legacy depends on our good name. An excellent reputation is a differentiating competitive advantage.
When people are surveyed about what they believe is the most important attribute of a company leader, honesty is overwhelmingly the number one trait. Integrity is a strong number two. Honesty has been defined as being truthful with others, integrity as being truthful with yourself. Honesty is the moral foundation of integrity. At Barton Malow, we strongly believe that integrity is the bedrock of long-term success.
Customers are looking for people with character – character that enables them to differentiate between what is honest and dishonest.
There are many areas of business that involve ethical protocols and ethical behavior including:
- Compliance with laws
- Record management
- Trade secrets
- Accounting for funds
- Conflicts of interest
- Use of company assets, such as software, tools and equipment
Companies with good reputations do more than follow the law; they treat people and businesses fairly – whether the law requires it or not.
There are many benefits of strong ethics. When we operate ethically, we create an atmosphere of trust and increase collaboration – ultimately, leading to better buildings and earning customer loyalty.
Firms that operate ethically are respected in the industry, which makes it easier to recruit and retain top talent. Good people attract other good people.
While ethics include the moral code we live by and our personal reputation, the fact is that respected ethics are good for business.
Ben Maibach, III
Barton Malow Chairman and CEO